Travel TopOfBlogs Past and future wanderings of a travel bug . . .: The Darkest Days - Seeking Sun on the Shortest Day of the Year!

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Darkest Days - Seeking Sun on the Shortest Day of the Year!

Rhodes, Greece looking sunny and even ... tropical.
Today is the Winter Solstice--officially the shortest day of the year.  Today the sun didn't rise until nearly 9 in the morning and set just after 4 in the afternoon.  I don't know about you but the shorter days leave me desperately wanting to see more of the sun.  Although I live (and grew up in) a part of the world that experiences a very harsh winter I really can't say that I enjoy it.  The good news is that tomorrow the days will start to get longer again.

In less than four days I will have some much needed time off and if I have my way I'll be spending at least a little of it in another time zone.  And if I am even luckier it may even be somewhere that has daily highs above 0 C!  As I write this it's minus 19 C--anything warmer will do.

The hard part is that its got to be cheap.  My budget is small so a cheap flight and accommodation is a must.  Fortunately I have no qualms about going at the last minute but at this time of year that doesn't always translate into savings.  I am looking for a deal.

So for the past while I have been  scouring budget sites looking for the perfect winter getaway.  I am easy to please, a cheap flight and a hostel bed would suit me just fine.  Sadly this time of year, travel can be at a premium with people all over heading home and abroad to see family and friends.  So as a result, thus far no dice.  Still I am hoping that if I keep looking maybe I'll find exactly what I am looking for--at the very last minute.  I've been checking out Expedia, Travelocity and LastMinute.com to name a few.  Any suggestions would definitely be welcome--please post them.  My traveling companion and I will be eternally grateful!

And if nothing else Hawaii in January is looking promising--too bad I don't have any time off then!

Until next time, happy traveling!

1 comment:

  1. There are a lot of fun things to do on Cape Cod. It is an exciting place where you can find amazing beaches, great lodging, good food and wonderful people!

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics